Wayne County District Attorney’s Office
Senior Deputy District Attorney
January 2018 - present
Responsible for investigating and prosecuting some of the most serious and complex cases within the Office. This includes a Murder case presently pending in Wayne County. This five co-defendant case requires intensive investigation, including applying for numerous court orders and search warrants, cell phone tower and cell site mapping expertise, audio and video statements, and intensive negotiations with opposing counsel and their clients. While simultaneously, handling the daily caseload of shootings, assaults, drug dealing, threats, thefts and DUIs.
Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office
Deputy District Attorney November 2015 to January 1, 2018
Acting District Attorney April – July 2017
First Assistant District Attorney, Chief of Staff, General Counsel, Chief Integrity Officer
From April through July 2017, I was the Acting District Attorney of the City and County of Philadelphia., the fifth largest DA Office in the Country. The Office employs 294 attorneys, 221 professional staff members, 53 sworn law enforcement officers with an annual budget of $37.8 million. As Acting District Attorney, I maintained final authority over all divisions within the Office including Law, Trial, Juvenile, Investigations and Executive/Administration. This authority included all hiring decisions, criminal charging decisions, capital case designations, juvenile-lifer resentencing recommendations, Brady evidence review determinations, and DNA testing committee decisions.
- Supervision of the DAO finance department with an annual budget of $37.8 million; Developed the Office’s annual budget and presented budget testimony to Philadelphia City Council.
- Supervision of the DAO human resources department which manages hiring, payroll and benefits; Revision, supervision and final decision making of the Conviction Review Unit which included the establishment of new policies and protocols for the review of actual innocence claims and coordination with other agencies to create a more transparent and effective investigatory process;
- Direct supervision of Special Investigations Division including oversight of investigations into officer involved shootings and public corruption allegations;
- Direct supervision of the Dangerous Drug Offender, Insurance Fraud, and Economic and Cyber Crime Units;
- Direct supervision of all the DAO sworn law enforcement staff;
- Senior member of the Capital Case Review Committee;
- Senior member of the Juvenile Life Without Parole Review Committee;
- Supervise and respond to all media inquiries;
- Create and update all Office policies including the social media policy, vehicle use policy, leave policy, and anti-fraternization policy;
- Final legal signature on all wiretap applications, grand jury submissions, and immunity petitions;
- Preparation and presentation of the annual budget; and General Counsel to the District Attorney Office on all civil legal matters
Pike County District Attorney’s Office
Assistant District Attorney
April 2014 to November 2015
Prosecuted cases including murder, domestic violence, assault, narcotics and fraud. Litigated preliminary hearings, pretrial motions, jury trials, post-trial motions and sentencing hearings. Successfully tried numerous jury trials to verdict.
Levant Martin, P.C.
Partner 2002 to 2012
Managed a busy criminal practice which included the representation of clients charged with offenses running the gamut from misdemeanors to the most serious and complex felonies. Among these cases were high profile criminal prosecutions which required interaction with local and national media outlets. Instructor at various continuing legal education seminars. Handled complex criminal appeals in the Superior Court of Pennsylvania and the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania.
Alva and Martin
Partner 1996 to 2002; Associate 1992 to 1996
Represented criminal defendants in state and federal court in cases involving a wide array of offenses. Charges included murder, robbery, fraud, firearms, drug offenses and sex crimes. Handled cases across the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania with an emphasis on Philadelphia County. Tried countless cases in every criminal trial division of the Philadelphia Courts including homicide, major trials, felony waivers, juvenile court and municipal court.
Temple University School of Law, Juris Doctorate 1992
Villanova University, Bachelor of Arts (Cum Laude) 1989
November 2013 to April 2014
Traveled with husband and two children, ages 9 and 10, to Africa and Asia spending extensive time in countries including South Africa, Malawi, Zambia, Tanzania, Ethiopia and India. Chronicled the experiences on a travel blog. Established a foundation that hopes to provide residents of my son’s birth village in Ethiopia with secondary education and a pathway out of subsistence living.
Trainings and Presentations
- Commonwealth Prevention Alliance, Panel Member Medical Marijuana in Our Community October 2018
- PA Coalition Against Domestic Violence, Stalking Training September 2018
- Medical Marijuana What you Need to Know, Wilkes Barre Law Association September 2018
- Animal Crime Insitute, Professional Animal Crime Investigations June 2018
- Leadership Training for Prosecutors, Principals of Leadership and Leadership Development, Pennsylvania District Attorney’s Association May 2018
- 4th Innovation in Prosecution Summit, Association of Prosecuting Attorney’s November 2017
- Human Trafficking Symposium October 2017
- Philadelphia Just Culture Event Review Team
- University of Pennsylvania, Finding Common Ground: Preventing Errors in Criminal Justice April 2017
- Implicit Bias, Diversity and Inclusion Training
- Labor Relations, FMLA, and FOSA Training
- Ethics, Leadership, and Leadership Training
- District Attorney’s Office Budgeting 101
- Criminal Justice Advisory Board
- The Shining Light, Co-Founder
- Wayne County Business and Professional Women, Member
- Wayne County Committee of Republican Woman, Member
- PA Farm Bureau, Member
- President, Wallenpaupack Area Little League 2015, Volunteer
- Wallenpaupack Area School District PTA, Volunteer
- Co-President, Evergreen Park Homeowners Association 2014-2015, Board Member
- Organizer, Evergreen Park Earth Day Cleanup
- Fresh Air Fund Host
- Habitat for Humanity, Volunteer
- Board Member Wallenpaupack Baseball Boosters
- Volunteer and Team Organizer Greater Lake Region Relay for Life